Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Stranger Danger!

Since this is my first post, I thought I would just dive right in and address the paranoia which I am sure will pop up occasionally here...okay, it will rear its ugly head all the dang time.  I have a right to my paranoia, but I do manage to control my response to it.  Here's a good example of something that certainly could have ended with me in a padded cell:

The kidlets and I are at the local grocery store.  We live in a small, rural town, but we don't know everyone because our town attracts tourists and we weren't born and raised here.  My kids know not to speak to strangers and my son - he's almost five and has an imaginary friend named "Spider" - won't even make eye contact with most people.  The tow-head twosome and I were perusing the cereal when a man, fairly ordinary-looking, walked up.  This man, who was probably in his 50s, reached out and tousled my son's hair.  Seriously?!  I think my jaw almost hit the floor, I was that stunned.  I am used to being perturbed by morons who will try to strike up a conversation with my kidlets, but to touch one of them?  What could this idiot have been thinking?  He made some comment about when his own kids were that age, blah, blah, blah.

Only the vision of the store manager dragging me off this guy's limp and bloody body, beaten senseless (although how much sense did he have left to lose?) by me in front of my little guys, kept me from doing anything other than nodding at him and walking away with the kids.  I know a lot of people would shrug this off because the guy did it in front of me, the parent.  But, all the alarm bells are going off, as my paranoia fights its way to the surface.  Because, you see, my paranoia isn't that off-base.  A lot of molestations begin when a stranger inserts him or herself into a family's life, and grooms the children so thoroughly, those poor kids are hard pressed to explain when the abuse began.  And the poor parents, they never had a clue.  It virtually happened right in front of them.  The parents are looked at by society as bloomin' idiots, but really, they are victims, too, just not on the same level as the children.  I consider myself lucky.  My job has given me notice to be on the lookout for "funny business."  Does that mean nothing will ever happen to my family?  Nope.  But, I'll be damned if I don't do everything I can to make sure there are no gaps left for Sneaky Pete's or Sue's to slip through.

I would be perfectly fine with this.
Meanwhile, I bite my tongue every time a stranger, male or female (because you never know), young or old, makes contact with my kids.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the minute I open my mouth to protest their idiocy, even just to say, "Why are you talking to my children?  Don't you know how hard we work to make them understand that it isn't okay to talk to strangers?" I will lose control and end up in restraints, hoping a judge or jury will understand my momentary Mama Bear loss of sanity. 

         

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the Blog Hop! I struggle with how protective to be. We had to have a serious talk when my oldest referred to one of the grocery store stockers as his friend because he saw him there every week.

    Sarah @ www.DailyMesses.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell, I totally struggle with my protectiveness. I don't think it is going to change any time soon. My kids will just have to put up with it. I don't smother then and I even insist that they don't hold my hand in the store because I want them to learn to walk with me, so hopefully, those little things will make up for my paranoia in other areas.
      I'm heading over to visit you before bed!

      Delete