Thursday, August 30, 2012

Disturbed.


That’s how I’m feeling this morning.  Really, since yesterday.  Since my doctor told me that I need to wean myself off coffee in order to assist in the treatment of my migraines.  WHAT?!  

Despair.  Utter despair.
Now, when I Googled “coffee health benefits” it produced many more sites with positive information than with negative information.  Apparently caffeine may raise your blood pressure, but this is not an issue for me.  Unless I am pregnant, and that’s not happening again.  I did find a funny statement that a lot of people who consume high levels of coffee also tend to be physically inactive and heavy smokers.  Um, okay.

According to medical research, regular coffee drinkers were less likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes, Parkinson's Disease, and dementia.  Also, those people in line at Starbucks may have a better chance of avoiding certain cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes.  Hmm, there seem to be a lot of benefits to this horrible thing my doctor likes to call coffee.


Taking a deeper look, it appears that I can reap the benefits of a reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes by drinking decaf.  Apparently, it is the minerals and antioxidants in coffee, rather than the caffeine, which affect this disease.  Okay, doc, you win on that one.  Except that he wanted me to walk away from all coffee, not just caffeinated.  Wrongo, sir.

Aha!  Caffeine is the driving force behind the lower risk of developing Parkinson's.  Now, what I’m about to say may be rude, but admit it.  A lot of you are thinking it.  High quantities of caffeine can make you shaky.  And one of the visible symptoms of Parkinson’s is a tremor.  I don’t know why my crude brain is insisting upon linking the two, but perhaps it is to suggest that you might have to voluntarily accept a tremor to avoid an involuntary one.  Smack me.  Smack me now.  (I'm sooo sorry.)

I am a terrible insensitive person.
Moving on.  A 20-year study (wow, how does one maintain their attention span for that long?), showed that people who consumed three to five cups of coffee a day were 65% less likely to develop dementia or Alzheimer's.  Yes!  This actually runs in my family.  I believe I would have an argument here, except, my grandfather, the most recent family member to have dementia, was a devoted coffee drinker.  Dang it.

This could actually solve a problem with boredom.
High coffee consumption can protect you from liver cancer and cirrhosis!  I wonder if this benefits to all the drinkers who take a heavy dose of coffee in the morning.  Maybe coffee acts as a filter for the alcohol.  Hmm.  That would be an interesting study to run.  I’d like to observe the drinking and antics, but I do not want to be around for the morning after.  No thank you very much.

Keep pouring...

I Googled “coffee migraines” and came up with several results that recommended the use of coffee to relieve a migraine, something I already know.  There was only one article which suggested that a person who regularly suffers from migraines should abstain from caffeine completely.   I understand the reason.  If I stop my intake of caffeine, when I do have a migraine, I will be able to treat it faster because it will be weaker to the immediate effects of the caffeine.  But I can’t help feeling sorry for myself because I love coffee. 




Will I stop drinking coffee completely?  No.  I’m going to wean myself off the caffeinated stuff and switch to decaf.  Yes, I know it still contains caffeine.  But in comparison to what I consume now, that’s a trace amount.  Mr. Perfect Doctor will just have to deal.  Or maybe I just won’t tell him.  After all, how can I possibly overlook the health benefits?  And, honestly, I would just miss it too much to do without the routine.  Before I can say goodbye to my old friend Caffeine, I will have to have one last rendezvous with Circle K's Bakery Blend.  It doesn't come in decaf.  And, I love it so.   

23 comments:

  1. That's rough. Good luck. I hope you can stop having migraines. Those are the worst!

    I found you through the TGIF Blog Hop. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, hope my sacrifice in kicking the caffeine habit helps my migraines disappear!
      Thanks for visiting! On my way to visit yours!

      Delete
  2. I've never had migraines. I can only imagine how debilitating and painful they are.
    Feel better!

    Found you at the TGIF Blog Hop. Nice to cyber meet you! Hope you'll come visit me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you never have to experience a migraine. I am lucky to have a high tolerance for pain and a low tolerance for sloth, so I manage to keep active through the headaches, which is good for me and the family.
      Thanks for visiting, and I will definitely drop in on you!

      Delete
  3. Awwww decaf is just not the same but at least it'll curb your coffee addiction! I love love coffee too and I remember when I detoxed....my caffeine headache I got was awful....i'm so sorry but hope you feel better...better than getting a migrane i think *hugs*

    PS. Happy Friday from the TGIF Blog Hop! Great to meet you! Looking forward to getting to know you and now following =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, why doesn't decaf come in all sorts of delicious flavors just like regular? Oh, well. I detoxed during both of my pregnancies and did it cold turkey then. It was easier because I was doing it for the health of someone else and not my own. But, I know I can do it. Thanks for the visit! I am heading over to check your page out right now. Happy Blog Hop!

      Delete
  4. gosh i couldn't imagine not drinking coffee. how many cups do you drink a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually only have one mug of coffee a day, but I do visit Starbucks or Circle K for a 20 oz (or grande) about once a week in the afternoon. Thankfully, I can still go to Starbucks and just ask for decaf!

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain! I have been weaning off caffeine too. I am now on half-caff, but find that I just drink twice as much in the day. I just love coffee. Simple as that.

    New follower here from TGIF blog hop...
    angela @ http://tractorenvy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried that I would drink twice as much when I began to wean, but thankfully, I have stuck to my routine of one cup a morning. I am either too lazy or it is because I have to go to the office, so I don't end up having more.
      Thanks for the visit. So glad for the Blog Hop! I'm coming over to see you!

      Delete
  6. Okay so fate (and the TGIF blog hop) brought me here to confirm what you already know. I have been treated by a neurologist for migraines for the past 14 years or so and hospitalized a few times. In the early stages of my treatment they recommended I go off caffeine because it can be triggering for some. I did, and got so much worse. Today, I still drink coffee and Dr Pepper, and a combination of other treatments have made my migraines better. I am so sorry you are dealing with this, few people get how debilitating it can be. Hang in there, I hope you find something that works for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the doc thought caffeine was a trigger. That would solve a lot of problems. I've been taking a preventative for a couple of years, and it suddenly stopped working. Since the headache starts in the morning before I've even had my coffee, it doesn't seem to be related. I'll try anything at this point. Lucky for me, I'm not a soda drinker, so I only have to get over the coffee love!

      Delete
  7. I love me some coffee! Found you via the TGIF blog hop, and thanks for the giggles (especially the inappropriate ones). I know nothing about migraines, other than that they hurt reallyreallyreally badly, so I hope you figure something out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing about the inappropriate giggle is that when I mentioned the coffee benefits to my boss, who is very proper, she had the same thought and voiced it out loud before I even said anything. I almost dropped dead of shock.

      Delete
  8. No! I wanted to cry when you said you had to give up coffee. Maybe you need to get a second opinion. With all of the health benefits I've been reading about coffee it's almost hard to believe it is bad for you.

    I found you on the TGIF Blog Hop. Nice to meet you.

    http://itsadomelife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since it looks like I can still benefit by drinking decaf, I think I will go that route. What my doctor (the sadist) doesn't know, won't hurt him. I have my quality of life to consider. I don't want to cry over my loss of coffee every dang day!
      Thank you so much for visiting and reading! Can't wait to wander over and visit you!

      Delete
  9. Oh Lord. I don't think I could function without my Java. Kudos to you for giving it a shot, and good luck on that!! Glad you linked up this week! Hope you keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a hard time distinguishing between a caffeine withdrawal headache and the dang migraine. So I guess that's good? Probably not. There are worse things in the world, I know!

      Delete
  10. That is rough! Good luck with the coffee weaning. Glad you'll still have decaf. I mix half regular coffee with half decaf because then I feel like I can have more. Everything in moderation, I say! Love your blog, btw. I found you through the TGIF blog hop. Kudos to you for weaning from the caffeine. Not an easy task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I'm still mixing regular with decaf, but adding more decaf every day, if I have any at all. Since I'm still having a headache daily, I don't know if it is a migraine or caffeine withdrawal...but I do know that I will survive!

      Delete
  11. That is so depressing. I'm very sorry for your loss. Maybe when you can have it again (will you be allowed???), you should try my fave of the moment, REVV PULSE K-cups. They rock my fat face off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! When I am completely off caffeine and need it to heal a migraine (that's the only time I'll be able to have it), I will have to have one of those!

      Delete
  12. I all the time used to study article in news papers but
    now as I am a user of web so from now I am using net for posts, thanks to web.


    Here is my blog :: weightloss centers

    ReplyDelete